Applying for Accreditation
HIM Graduate Education Programs
For Health Information Management (HIM) Graduate Programs
Health information management (HIM) graduate programs focus on the skills and competencies in health data management, information policy, information systems, administrative and clinical work flow. Health information management graduate programs focus on operations management essential to ensuring an accurate and complete medical record and cost-effective information processing.
The Online Candidacy Application Process for Accreditation
CAHIIM Candidacy Description
The purpose of this process is to establish a consultative relationship with developing programs in Health Information Management, the sponsoring institution and CAHIIM staff in working towards CAHIIM Accreditation. Such programs may be in the planning or early stages of program implementation.
An Application for Candidacy should be made if a program and its sponsoring institution believes it is in full compliance with the current Standards for Accreditation. The review and decision of a submitted application may take up to 30 days to complete.
Achieving applicant Candidacy status does not guarantee eventual Accreditation of the program.
Length of Candidacy Status
A program may remain in Candidacy Status for a maximum of two (2) years.
Expiration of Candidacy Status
This status will be terminated if it is found that the Requirements for Candidacy have not been maintained at any time or the maximum 2-year period has elapsed. If the program has been informed of this action, the program must reapply by submitting a new Application for Candidacy.
Change in Program Director:
Should this occur during the Candidacy period at any stage, the program's Candidacy Status, application and documentation in the CAHIIM Accreditation System (CAS) will be terminated.
Requirements for Candidacy
A program may apply for Candidacy only if:
1) The sponsoring institution is accredited by a regional accrediting institutional agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) to offer a degree.
2) There is a qualified Program Director for each campus at all times during the Candidacy Stage.
3) All course syllabi have been prepared and all AHIMA professional curriculum requirements are implemented.
4) Students have been enrolled in the program.
Candidacy applications will be rejected if the above Requirements for Candidacy are not met at the application stage.CAHIIM Processing Fees (Programs are invoiced)
Next Steps: How to begin the process
The CAHIIM Accreditation System (CAS) Portal
The program should apply using the links at the left navigation bar.
Visit the CAS System Resources link to:
1. Find comprehensive information on the registration and application processes and assistance and guidelines for completing subsequent stages in the accreditation process.
2. Download all system based CAHIIM template forms to be used and uploaded in the system. Program created forms may not be substituted and will not be accepted.